Follow me to learn more about life before, during and Beyond a cancer diagnosis

Follow me to  learn more about life before, during and Beyond a cancer diagnosis
PEG Tube... not so scary ;)

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Getting the Garden Ready-Tip Today


Whew! I have just come in from working in the garden. It's good to get out and get exercise no matter how tired, sore or crabby you may be when you are regaining your health, just don't overdue. The picture is one I sent to my granddaughters. It is me with the cucumbers grown from the seeds my granddaughters and I started in the green house when they visited last:) Soon they will go outside with most everything else.
I set myself a goal for getting the garden ready this year. Each day, when the weather is cooperative (And there are no doctor appointments in Atlanta, like there is tomorrow) I determined that I would clear and ready one 4 x 6 square at a time. It started out slow at first, and seemed like I was never going to feel like I accomplished anything, but little by little I am winning.

The main garden area, which is approximately a half acre plot is now 3/4 of the way done. Hurray!
Anyone who gardens knows that wildlife, namely deer can decimate your dreams of fresh fruits and veggies overnight. It took a variety of attempts without going electric, or 8 feet high with the fence,to effectively barricade against the deer where I live here in the boonies.
An old man in his 90's told me a deer will only jump what it can touch with it's nose. So I put up a double fence. The first perimeter fence is made up of standard 5 foot h. x 16 ft. L. round pen rails; set in approximately 3 feet from that is regular garden variety green square wire fence, 4 ft. tall. The deer cannot touch the inner fence with their nose, ergo the man must have been right, they have left my patch alone for years now. I wish I could say the same for my apple and pear trees scattered across the property.
I have a couple of other smaller raised garden beds as well, I plant various squash varieties in these, mainly yellow. I have found that the deer do not bother with the squash, the leaves and vines are too prickly.
Okay, logging off for now:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome input from everyone, but Please be aware that due to unscrupulous people using the comments section to post links leading to other Herbal Tea sites comment moderation is now on. Any comments with links to other tea sites will be deleted before posting. Thank You Debbie