Follow me to learn more about life before, during and Beyond a cancer diagnosis

Follow me to  learn more about life before, during and Beyond a cancer diagnosis
PEG Tube... not so scary ;)

Monday, April 19, 2010

After Cancer Treatment; PEG Tube Removal


So besides starting my first blog I had another first today: I had my PEG Tube, which is AKA as A percutaneous endoscopic gastronomy tube, removed from where it has been implanted in my belly since November last year.
I am recovering from throat cancer, and I definitely used the thing, but it's about summer and I was ready for it to be gone.
The Dr. didn't agree it should come out yet, and said the nurse never should have made the appointment without checking with him first. I'll tell you what after waiting over two hours to be seen, after looking forward to losing this PEG tube as a high point for the past week, I was not leaving with it still in. Long story short, he wanted me to sign an agreement that taking it out was against medical advice release, and I got what I wanted. OUCH, Hurray, OUCH, or as Charlie Sheen would say "Holy Mother of God!!!".
I researched getting it out, and it seemed like it would be no big deal. The majority of the sites explained it was just a matter of deflating the little balloon situated inside my belly, and the tube will pull right out. I did wonder why a couple of the sites that showed up in the google search mentioned IV sedation for pain management though. No Problem.
Yes well Problem, Mine did not have a deflatable balloon, only a solid collar the Dr. said. He also said it was going to hurt real bad. He was right! He held one hand against my abdomen, and with the other YANKED a golf ball size piece of rubber out through a hole in my belly smaller than a pencil. Ouch.Ouch. Ouch is all I can say. It was like being shot in the stomach from the inside out.
All taped up now, not supposed to open it to look till tomorrow when I am to change the bandage.

LOL my husband reminded me, I forgot to mention that when I was insisting to the Doctor that I wanted it out, I was also looking around the room for a pair of scissors, I said I was going to cut the end off, and then he would have to take it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome input from everyone, but Please be aware that due to unscrupulous people using the comments section to post links leading to other Herbal Tea sites comment moderation is now on. Any comments with links to other tea sites will be deleted before posting. Thank You Debbie