Follow me to learn more about life before, during and Beyond a cancer diagnosis

Follow me to  learn more about life before, during and Beyond a cancer diagnosis
PEG Tube... not so scary ;)

Friday, July 9, 2010

Not the Best News, But Not the Worst Either

So, I was waiting to hear final results from last set of scans that were done because of a relapse of symptoms that has been ongoing since just after Memorial Day weekend. Dr. B got back to me, I knew he would that's why he's my favorite. Sent me a copy of the final report on the neck scans. They were gone over by a few people because of the ambiguous results. There were a number of areas that kind of raised more questions than answered them. The report starts out harmless enough, with nothing that was not really to be expected...
"Extensive post radiation changes are noted, including thickening of the suprahyoid epiglottis, induration of the endolaryngeal soft tissues, and thickening of the skin and surrounding subcutaneous soft tissues".  
One of the concerns was that the edema has gotten worse, instead of progressively better as it should be, the report mentions on that "There is extensive postradiation laryngealedema, and fluid also extends into the planes of the neck".

Of the 4 areas in question, the report states "There were areas of enhancement within the interarytenoid soft tissue, the anterior commissure, along the laryngeal surface at the base of the epiglottis, and within the left aryepiglottic fold, but there is no large recurrent mass noted" So not so bad, some shady areas, but no "masses" noted. The only other maybe spot was a very small "nonspecific hypodensity  present in the right thyroid gland".  
I have been complaining of bad right earaches for weeks now, maybe this is part of that, report says "There is partial opacification of the right mastoid air cells" Which I believe has something to do with the ear. I could of course be wrong:)

So the Final Impression closing summary paragraph says

"IMPRESSION: Postradiation changes with extensive laryngeal edema as

described above, with multifocal enhancement of the anterior commissure, interarytenoid soft tissue, the base of the epiglottis, and the left aryepiglottic fold. In the setting of significant postradiation edema, the findings are non specific, but could represent persistent/recurrent disease. PET-CT may be beneficial".


So, we are giving it 5 weeks in which I am supposed to take it a little easier, go back to wearing a mask when I am outside or in the barn, stop talking so much and rest my vocal chords, go back to gargling with my magic mouthwash,and see if there is any improvement, I.E. less pain and return of voice. If things get worse I am to call and let him know and we will make a sooner appointment. If I go the whole 5 weeks and there is no improvement then we will probably be able to ask the insurance company to cover a new PET/CT scan.


See that look what happens when I slack off on my tea drinking, lol. Seriously it has been sooooooooooooooooooooo hot here, and I know I should have just made pitchers of iced tea I have been on an indulgent root beer float kick. Lol I can faintly taste a familiar rootbeer flavor, I can smell the rootbeer, and its COLD lol. Hey I thought they were gonna help me put some weight on, but it hasn't happened yet and I have gone through about 25 gallons of Eddy's Vanilla ice cream since Memorial Day. On a more serious note though, all that sugar probably wasn't a good idea either, I think I am supposed to be avoiding sugary stuff.


Okay, well signing off, here's to better days ahead

God Bless:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome input from everyone, but Please be aware that due to unscrupulous people using the comments section to post links leading to other Herbal Tea sites comment moderation is now on. Any comments with links to other tea sites will be deleted before posting. Thank You Debbie